When to Splurge and When to Save on New Windows
Window replacement can be a big investment. Many homeowners taking on this exterior renovation project feel overwhelmed by the process and the expense. Sticking to a budget during any renovation project, including window replacement, is smart. However, there are places where you shouldn’t cut costs.
Where You Can Save on Window Replacement
Although you don’t necessarily want to go for the lowest bid, which can be too good to be true, there are places you can save.
- Materials: Vinyl will typically cost less than wood. Many vinyl windows these days are high quality and much lower maintenance than wood. Vinyl windows can mimic the style of wood but with significant savings. Working with the right contractor can help you get quality materials at a good price, since many contractors have relationships with suppliers.
- Options: Contractors may try and steer you toward custom trim, style, and hardware. It’s easy to be swayed by the high-end options. However, many standard design options are just as attractive and are much less expensive. Make sure to ask your contractor for all the options. Sticking to standard styles and materials can save money without sacrificing quality.
- Scheduling: If you time your window replacement right, you may be able to save. Starting your window replacement at a slower time of the year, or when a company is running a sale may help you get a good deal.
Where to Splurge on Window Replacement
Savings are important during renovation, but windows are a permanent part of your home and will have a significant impact on your energy efficiency and home security. When you look at windows like this, it becomes easy to understand why quality matters.
- Installation: While you don’t have to go with the highest bidder, quality installation can make a big difference in the success of your window replacement project. You need a professional who has the expertise, tools, and experience to see your project through. Cutting costs on installation can end up costing you much more in the long run.
- Energy Efficiency: Window replacement can save you a good amount on your energy bills. Newer windows will always be more efficient, but it’s important not to sacrifice quality. Single-pane windows may be less expensive, but this is one place you will feel the difference.
- Style: While splurging on style may be a stretch for the entire project, many homeowners don’t want their home to look like they went bargain shopping. Splurging on a statement bay or bow window as a focal point can be a good compromise. Homeowners want to make sure that their new windows fit the style of their home, and for many, the aesthetic they achieve by making sure that they love the style is well worth it.
Before you start your window replacement project, decide what your priorities are for materials, style, and efficiency. When getting estimates from contractors, let them know what your budget is for the project and rely on their expertise to help you make the best choices. Here at Armorvue Home Exteriors, we take the time to make sure you understand all of your options so you can make the best choice for your home. Contact us today for a virtual appointment to talk about your new windows or any other exterior home improvement project you have on your to-do list.
Schedule Your FREE In-home Estimate!
Let’s take the next step and schedule your free no-obligation in-home estimate today!